Supporting Local Charities
Together with friend, and fellow cyclist, Andy Cawley, we set up the Humber Bridge Sportive 7 years ago; we did so with 3 clear aims in mind:
- Firstly, to raise as much money as possible for local charities – our current total stands at over £80,000!!
- Secondly, to use the Humber Bridge as a focal point for the ride – it had never previously been used for a cycling event. Our iconic”bridge has been a great draw, and in the past 2 years alone, we have attracted around 350 riders from beyond the borders of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire!
- Thirdly, to promote cycling to young people and to those who aren’t necessarily club cyclists, but who want a challenge. Around 100 of our riders in 2017 were under the age of 14, which is great to see, especially since youngsters frequently get a bad press for their lack of exercise! Furthermore, all of these kids are accompanied by at least 1 parent, so it’s become a real family affair. Most of this group rode the 22 mile route, but a handful challenged themselves to ride either the 42 or 62 mile route.
Together with the backing of Hesslewood Office Park, and a fantastic team of helpers, we also run a Family Day with Farmers’ Market stalls, top UK cycling stunt team Savage Skills, ice cream and beer! We are beginning to get terrific support from local businesses, and this is something we would really like to build on in order to maximise our donations to charity.
Whilst the ride has grown since its inception, with numbers rising from around 300 in 2014 to 850 in 2019, the Humber Bridge Sportive is very much still a “work in progress”!
2017 – The Ellie Penrose Fund
2018 – Families Together Service, Special Stars Foundation, Cure DM CIC and Bundles of Joy (pictured above).
2019 – P.A.U.L. For Brain Recovery, R-evolution, Spirit of Goole and FIND3.
It has also been possible to contribute £2,000 towards the purchase of an assisted bike for Darren Smith, which will be a massive help in his recovery from a stroke.
Contributions have also been made to Hull4Heroes and Hull Women’s Aid.
Thank you to all our riders, volunteers and sponsors, for your support in making this happen.
2020 – Charities and Projects
- Emmaus Hull – combating homelessness in Hull
- Macmillan Cancer Support – all money donated will support local projects